Occlusal adjustment is a dental procedure aimed at achieving a harmonious and balanced bite by making precise alterations to the surfaces of teeth. It involves the reshaping and contouring of tooth surfaces, typically through selective grinding, to create even and balanced contact between the upper and lower teeth. The goal is to distribute occlusal forces evenly across the entire dental arch, preventing undue pressure or imbalances that could lead to dental problems or discomfort. For more information, visit MountainView Dental.
When Is Occlusal Adjustment Necessary?
- Excessive and uneven tooth wear can indicate an imbalanced bite, necessitating occlusal adjustment to prevent further damage.
- Patients experiencing TMJ pain or dysfunction due to a misaligned bite may benefit from occlusal adjustment to alleviate symptoms.
- After the placement of dental restorations (such as crowns or fillings), an occlusal adjustment may be necessary to ensure that the restored tooth fits seamlessly into the bite.
- Occlusal adjustment is sometimes performed after orthodontic treatment to fine-tune the bite alignment.
- Bruxism can result from an imbalanced bite due to excessive forces applied during grinding. Occlusal adjustment can help mitigate the effects of bruxism.
The Occlusal Adjustment Process
The dentist in Hurricane, UT, evaluates the patient's bite through visual examination, dental impressions, X-rays, and bite analysis to identify areas of imbalance or excessive wear. Based on the diagnosis, a treatment plan is developed to guide the occlusal adjustment procedure.
The dentist carefully grinds and reshapes the appropriate tooth surfaces using specialized dental instruments to create an even bite. The adjustments are made incrementally, with frequent checks to ensure progress and balance.
Once the desired bite alignment is achieved, the dentist smooths and polishes the adjusted tooth surfaces for comfort and aesthetics. The patient's bite is then assessed following the procedure, and any necessary adjustments or refinements are made. Follow-up appointments may be scheduled to monitor the stability of the bite.
The Benefits of Occlusal Adjustment
Patients with TMJ or bruxism often experience pain relief and reduced discomfort after occlusal adjustment.
Prevention of Dental Problems
Occlusal adjustment in Hurricane, UT, can prevent or slow down the progression of dental issues like tooth wear, fractures, and gum recession.
Improved Oral Function
A balanced bite enhances chewing and speaking abilities, improving oral function.
Enhanced Long-Term Dental Health
By promoting even tooth wear and preventing excessive forces on teeth, occlusal adjustment supports long-term dental health and reduces the risk of dental emergencies.
After orthodontic treatment, occlusal adjustment ensures that the teeth and bite align correctly, maximizing the effectiveness of orthodontic work.
Occlusal adjustment is a precise and valuable dental procedure that promotes oral health, comfort, and function by achieving a harmonious and balanced bite. If you suspect issues with your bite or experience oral discomfort, contact MountainView Dental at 52 South 850 West, Suite 201, Hurricane, UT 84737, or call (435) 635-9471 to determine whether the occlusal adjustment is the right solution to restore balance and harmony to your smile.